cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Commercial Rights Reserved

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: James Grimmelmann <james AT grimmelmann.net>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Commercial Rights Reserved
  • Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 17:10:26 -0500

I am mildly opposed to the change, but not for deep philosophical reasons.
There are things to like about the clarity of "Commercial Rights Reserved."
Given time, I think it would be compatible with the messaging of many
different kinds of creators and communities. But at this point, so many
years into the lifecycle of the NonCommercial licenses, it is better to leave
well enough alone. Changing a name that appears on millions of works in
millions of places will cause a lot of confusion: some people won't know that
anything's changed, others will be afraid that something deep has changed in
the license. Stability of the CC licenses is a top priority; this wouldn't
help. It's fine to use "Commercial Rights Reserved" to help describe what NC
is and does, but the name has been named.

tl;dr: Stare decisis.

James