cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] [cc-community] Commercial Rights Reserved

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Alex Andrews <alex AT recordsonribs.com>
  • To: cc-community AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] [cc-community] Commercial Rights Reserved
  • Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 00:33:53 +0000

Good articulation of many of the reasons why we oppose this.

Alex

On 10 December 2012 19:34, Heather Morrison <hgmorris AT sfu.ca> wrote:
hi Kat,

Thank you very much for asking about this. I am strongly opposed to changing "noncommercial" to "commercial rights reserved". The noncommercial element is often used by creators who are not primarily in the commercial realm, and "commercial rights reserved" is not necessarily what people mean by "noncommercial".

Having to choose between granting or reserving commercial rights suggests that the many people who share their work freely but just don't want others to sell it are not welcome in the Creative Commons.

best,

Heather Morrison