cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Commercial Rights Reserved

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Commercial Rights Reserved
  • Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 09:55:32 -0500

On Tuesday 11 December 2012 12:56:30 Heather Morrison wrote:
> Noncommercial is not optimal either. However, from a language perspective
> it is better than "commercial rights reserved" because it gives the creator
> an opportunity to say that "this is outside of the commercial realm".

It might be nice to have a license which did this, but from what I see, NC is
not the license that does it.

You would either need a binding promise on the part of the copyright holder
not to make commercial use of the work or perhaps an additional "license"
granting others the right to make commercial use of the work as soon as the
copyright holder does.

The NC license we have does not make the binding promise to keep the work out
of the commercial realm nor does it put others on anywhere near an equal
footing with the copyright holder. It instead allows the copyright holder to
make commercial use of the work whenever he wants to while not allowing
others to do the same. This situation reminds me of the benevolent dictator
situation my dad spoke of when I was a child.