cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Commercial Rights Reserved

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Jussi-Ville Heiskanen <cimonavaro AT gmail.com>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Commercial Rights Reserved
  • Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 20:50:42 +0200

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 6:07 PM, Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell AT gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 10:17 AM, Alex Gakuru <gakuru AT gmail.com> wrote:
>> Greetings,
>> I am concerned by the plausible effect of “Commercial Rights Reserved“
>> potential of sending legacy copyright‘s chilling effect?
>> Borne of the need to protect the otherwise ‘grey‘ innovation space enjoyed
>> under the current licences categorizations.
>
> I do not understand what you are saying here even if I temporarily
> accept the premise that it is ethical to intentionally write vague
> licenses with for the purpose of fostering misunderstandings and make
> their user's intentions unenforceable.
>
> Can you specifically enumerate an example sequence of events which
> using "commercial rights reserved" instead of "non commercial" may
> result in an unwelcome outcome due to a reduction in "grey innovation
> space"?

This may be an oversimplification, but looking at this from the
vantage point of a largely disinterested observer; it does appear
the problem is that there is a difference between:

"I and only I can exploit this resource for a closely defined purpose,
no one else may do so, or allow others to do so."

...and...

"I declare I will not, nor will allow anyone to allow anyone, in
perpetuity, to exploit this resource for the closely defined
purposes which I define."

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen,