cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] NC Proposal No. 12: clarifying noncommercial

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Heather Morrison <hgmorris AT sfu.ca>
  • To: andrewrens AT gmail.com, Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] NC Proposal No. 12: clarifying noncommercial
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 13:26:59 -0700

Andrew Rens wrote:

Would the same purposes be achieved by defining commercial as sale, barter,
letting and use in a paid for advertisement? Would any of the educational
uses that you want to permit be prevented by defining non commercial in this
legally certain way?

Comments / questions:

1. Readers note that Andrew is referring to my proposed definition of
noncommercial (#12 on the wiki here
http://wiki.creativecommons.org/4.0/NonCommercial)

2. Does letting mean letting for monetary compensation from a legal
perspective? Lending without monetary compensation should not be prohibited,
IMHO.

3. "Use in a paid for advertisement" does not cover some uses that
should be prohibited, e.g. mirroring a blog for the purpose of deriving ad
revenue.

4. In view of recent discussions on this list, I am wondering whether
agreement that the current definition of noncommercial works just fine. The
purpose of my proposed new definition of noncommercial is to remedy what
others have brought up as a problem with the current license (overly broad
definition of noncommercial). It seems that at least some people are now
thinking that the existing definition of NC isn't so bad after all. Maybe we
should just keep it?

The full message follows. Apologies for omitting responses to particulars, I
find it difficult to follow this discussion in this format, i.e. I am not
sure which are the latest comments and whether they are reactions to what I
have said or what others have said.

best,

Heather Morrison