cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Will CC 4.0 Make NC Clause Problems Worse?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Ben Finney <bignose+hates-spam AT benfinney.id.au>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Will CC 4.0 Make NC Clause Problems Worse?
  • Date: Tue, 08 May 2012 15:20:47 +1000

Heather Morrison <hgmorris AT sfu.ca> writes:

> I have argued that NC make explicit that educational use is not
> considered commercial.

When I use CC-BY-SA materials to teach people a programming language
(for example), that is definitely educational use.

I do so for a fee directly paid for this service; that is definitely
commercial use.

So I think it's flatly false to say that educational use is not
considered commercial. So it's disingenuous to expect people to
interpret a Non-Commercial clause this way.

Which part of my definition do you disagree with?

I don't see how you could agree that I'm making educational use for
profit, but somehow say that is “not considered commercial” use. And if
you want it to be “not considered commercial” for the purposes of
interpreting the CC-NC clause, then I think you're trying to make the
terms mean the opposite of what they say.

--
\ “All my life I've had one dream: to achieve my many goals.” |
`\ —Homer, _The Simpsons_ |