cc-licenses - [cc-licenses] Education for private monetary compensation is commercial (was: NC Proposal No. 12: clarifying noncommercial)

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Ben Finney <bignose+hates-spam AT benfinney.id.au>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-licenses] Education for private monetary compensation is commercial (was: NC Proposal No. 12: clarifying noncommercial)
  • Date: Wed, 09 May 2012 10:25:56 +1000

Heather Morrison <hgmorris AT sfu.ca> writes:

> My proposal to clarify noncommercial addresses a number of the
> questions coming up in discussion in recent days (from my viewpoint).
> Does anyone have specific feedback on this proposal?
>
> NC Proposal No. 12 (Heather Morrison): NC Proposal No.12 Define NC to
> specifically allow educational uses. "(f) NonCommercial means not
> intended for re-sale or re-use of the Licensed Work for private
> monetary compensation

When I educate using material I've obtained, my purpose is primarily for
private monetary compensation.

> For the avoidance of doubt, educational use - teaching and learning -
> is Noncommercial, and permitted by this Public License

This does not avoid doubt. When I teach using such material, it is often
commercial activity – I intend to receive private monetary compensation
for providing the service of education.

So long as you are saying that using the work in education for private
monetary compensation is never a primarily commercial activity, I think
you are being disingenuous. You appear to be defining my job out of
existence, and that simply doesn't match reality at all.

--
\ “Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest do not |
`\ happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these |