cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Will CC 4.0 Make NC Clause Problems Worse?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Heather Morrison <hgmorris AT sfu.ca>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Will CC 4.0 Make NC Clause Problems Worse?
  • Date: Fri, 4 May 2012 16:05:15 -0700

David Wiley's points about the "entire agreement" clause make sense. May I
suggest that this clause would cover (legally prevent) additional
restrictions, and so should be retained. I have argued that NC make explicit
that educational use is not considered commercial.

"Add-ons" - links to further information - still makes sense to me. If adds
cannot add effective new restrictions, they can include further waivers. For
example, when NC is used, it may be in some cases that the licensor wishes to
reserve specific commercial use rights, but is willing to grant others, in
which case an add-on can be helpful.

Another example of how an add-on can be helpful is to provide further
clarification, e.g. to link to a Frequently Asked Questions that apply to
some circumstances or types of material but not others and hence don't make
sense to include on the CC site per se.

Regarding remix, one thought is why note have combined works where different
licenses apply to different elements? This is already happening. For example,
if I create a powerpoint and use my preferred CC license, but include a photo
with a different CC license, I note that CC license of the photo along with
link to the original.

Even on my own blog, I have one license that applies to the blog as a whole,
but separate licenses for some of the individual blogposts. This may be
awkward for now, but perhaps in time technological solutions will make this
easier - or, if this is difficult, then perhaps this will help drive expanded
fair use / fair dealing rights to diminish the need for micro-level
permissions clearance.

best,

Heather Morrison