cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Version 4:0:Rebranding "noncommercial" to "commercial rights reserved": please don't!

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Heather Morrison <hgmorris AT sfu.ca>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Version 4:0:Rebranding "noncommercial" to "commercial rights reserved": please don't!
  • Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 11:14:48 -0700

We may as well agree to disagree on the basic philosophical question of
whether the commons is for commercial sharing or for sharing outside of the
commercial world, or both.

Creative Commons is trying to cover a lot of territory, a lot of differences
in types and uses of works, communities and potential communities of users
(with different worldviews), not to mention national and international law. I
have a lot of respect for the people coordinating this effort and trying to
come up with solutions that everyone can live with. It is possible that CC is
trying to cover too much; it makes no sense to me that the kind of work that
I do needs a license compatible with licenses designed for software.

May I bring up for argument's sake that it would be optimal if CC-BY did NOT
grant commercial rights, but that rather this would require a special
license?

Noncommercial is a broader concept than "commercial rights reserved" - it
includes the concept that commercial rights are reserved, but also allows
those who do not want their work used for commercial purposes at all a CC
option. Not everyone will like this, but it is not realistic to please
everyone. A commons that includes those who prefer NC (currently the majority
of CC works, I understand) who would not move to commercial rights reserved
(an unknown number - at least one person, me), is a larger commons than one
that excludes our participation.

My two bits,

Heather Morrison