cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Version 4:0:Rebranding "noncommercial" to "commercial rights reserved"

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: David Chart <bydosa AT davidchart.com>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Version 4:0:Rebranding "noncommercial" to "commercial rights reserved"
  • Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2012 12:53:54 +0900

On 2012/04/14, at 2:07, Gregor Hagedorn wrote:

> On 13 April 2012 18:31, Heather Morrison <hgmorris AT sfu.ca> wrote:
>> "Commercial rights reserved" does not mean the same thing as
>> "noncommercial". Noncommercial includes the concept that a work is meant
>> to be primarily or entirely outside of the commercial realm rather than
>> the creator reserving commercial rights.
>> Some of us would like to broaden the part of our world that is not thought
>> of in commercial terms - including many instances where people are paid
>> for their work.
>
> What you describe is what many believe the NC license is, but what in
> fact it is not. You describe a totally new license.

Yes, and I think that accounts for my disagreement with Heather over the
education exception. Education is non-commercial in that sense, but not in
the sense used in the NC license.

The renaming sounds like a good idea to me, as well. "Commercial Rights
Reserved" makes it clear that you are restricting the rights of people to use
works under this license.
--
David Chart
http://www.davidchart.com/