cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] derivatives and source

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Francesco Poli <invernomuto AT paranoici.org>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] derivatives and source
  • Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2012 11:39:05 +0200

On Sun, 8 Apr 2012 03:20:51 +0800 Valentin Villenave wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 7, 2012 at 6:10 PM, Rob Myers <rob AT robmyers.org> wrote:
> > I think we should err on the side of "preferred form for modification"
> > rather than preparatory material.
>
> Good point. (Although the question "preferred by whom?" does come to mind.)

I am convinced that the most reasonable answer to the question
"preferred by whom?" is "by the last person who modified the work".

> > I love having access to preparatory material, and I know from experience
> > that it may be necessary for understanding and therefore competently
> > studying, critiquing and building on a work. But forcing disclosure of
> > preparatory material introduces problems of privacy and practicality.
>
> Indeed, I may have been overreaching. Thanks for drawing the line!
> The point I was trying to make was mainly about the "If it exists, I
> want to see it" part, though: the license should not mandate that a
> source form must exist, but it **could** acknowledge its existence.
[...]

I believe that a source form always exists.

The source code, as defined in the GNU GPL, is the preferred form for
making modifications to a work.
As long as the work is actually modifiable (and software works are
always modifiable), there always exists at least one form suitable for
making modifications. Among these forms, the preferred one is, by
definition, the source code.

--
http://www.inventati.org/frx/frx-gpg-key-transition-2010.txt
New GnuPG key, see the transition document!