cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] derivatives and source

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Valentin Villenave <valentin AT villenave.net>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] derivatives and source
  • Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2012 03:20:51 +0800

On Sat, Apr 7, 2012 at 6:10 PM, Rob Myers <rob AT robmyers.org> wrote:
> I think we should err on the side of "preferred form for modification"
> rather than preparatory material.

Good point. (Although the question "preferred by whom?" does come to mind.)

> I love having access to preparatory material, and I know from experience
> that it may be necessary for understanding and therefore competently
> studying, critiquing and building on a work. But forcing disclosure of
> preparatory material introduces problems of privacy and practicality.

Indeed, I may have been overreaching. Thanks for drawing the line!
The point I was trying to make was mainly about the "If it exists, I
want to see it" part, though: the license should not mandate that a
source form must exist, but it **could** acknowledge its existence.
(Granted, it's a rather weak requirement and probably wouldn't be of
much use before a court in case of a violation, but it could encourage
people towards better practices. As Mike said earlier, a license is
more than just a legal piece of paper.)

> (I wouldn't use fashion as an example for copyleft, as there's currently
> a struggle to *oppose* the introduction of fashion copyrights in the US.
> :-) )

Oh, then I shouldn't have tried to be clever and just stick with more
traditional examples :-)
(Unless I'm mistaken, fashion bears a whole lot of copyrightable
aspects in Europe.)

Cheers,
Valentin.