cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] derivatives and source

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Valentin Villenave <valentin AT villenave.net>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] derivatives and source
  • Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2012 21:36:20 +0200

On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 9:29 PM, Christopher Allan Webber
<cwebber AT creativecommons.org> wrote:
> In software we have a clear definition for what is and isn't source
> code, and modifiability of software isn't really possible without
> source.  It's not as true with content, which is more of a gradient.

Indeed. But nevertheless we _can_ make some steps towards a definitive
requirement.

The wording I use in my own homebrew copyleft license is something
along the line of: "if source material exists or has existed at some
point in the making of the Work, *and* if you touched it in any way at
any time in the making of any derivative Work, then you *must* make it
available or specify where people can access a copy of it".

(For example, it also includes/should include, in the case of a
tailor-made suit or skirt, preliminary sketches and sewing patterns.)

Cheers,
Valentin.