cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] derivatives and source

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Rob Myers <rob AT robmyers.org>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] derivatives and source
  • Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2012 11:10:21 +0100

On 04/06/2012 08:36 PM, Valentin Villenave wrote:

(For example, it also includes/should include, in the case of a
tailor-made suit or skirt, preliminary sketches and sewing patterns.)

I think we should err on the side of "preferred form for modification" rather than preparatory material.

I love having access to preparatory material, and I know from experience that it may be necessary for understanding and therefore competently studying, critiquing and building on a work. But forcing disclosure of preparatory material introduces problems of privacy and practicality. Many different works may emerge from a single set of preparatory materials. And do I have to spend all day scanning my sketchbooks just so I can release a work BY-SA?

Having the Blender file, or the layered image file, rather than the lossy video or image files is a very easy line to draw. Requiring the sketchbooks that I filled in coming up while developing those files to be digitized probably goes too far.

(I wouldn't use fashion as an example for copyleft, as there's currently a struggle to *oppose* the introduction of fashion copyrights in the US. :-) )

- Rob.