cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Use cases for cc by-sa compatibility with GPL

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Anthony <osm AT inbox.org>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Use cases for cc by-sa compatibility with GPL
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2012 17:13:56 -0500

On Sun, Jan 1, 2012 at 7:19 PM, Ben Finney
<bignose+hates-spam AT benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> Anthony <osm AT inbox.org> writes:
>
>> On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 9:44 PM, Arne Babenhauserheide <arne_bab AT web.de>
>> wrote:
>> > To cut my previous message short: Do you want cc by-sa to be the
>> > definite copyleft license for free culture? Or do you want to force
>> > people to use GPL for art when they create it for a free game, just
>> > to be safe and to avoid restrictions on their project organization?
>>
>> I don't want to force people to do anything. If people want
>> derivatives of their work to be used in GPL software, they should
>> license their work under GPL.
>
> The implication of this is that if the author of a graphic image or
> audio file or text document does *not* license their work under GPL, it
> is because they don't want recipients to combine the work into GPL
> programs.

No, that's not the implication. The implication is that *some* people
licensed their work under CC-BY-SA, and not GPL, because they want
their work under CC-BY-SA, and not GPL.

>> GPL is not a bad license for software. But it's not a good license for
>> photographs, or maps.
>
> This thread is discussing use cases where that line is not clear.

This thread is discussing allowing *all* CC-BY-SA works to be
relicensed under GPL. That means the ones where GPL is a good
solution *and* the ones where GPL is a bad solution.

> If the original licensors of each work wanted a sharealike, but one of
> them made a program and another made a graphic image and another made an
> audio file – it *is* a bug that a recipient does not have the freedom to
> combine them into a single derived work and redistribute under free
> license terms.
>
> So what can be done to address that bug?

There's nothing that can be done if the two forms of sharealike are
incompatible.

You can't combine CC-BY-NC-SA with CC-BY-SA, even though both are
sharealike. Should we put a clause in CC-BY-NC-SA allowing people to
relicense the work under CC-BY-SA? Surely it is more likely that the
licensor would have no objection to having his image used in
Wikipedia, but didn't think about the incompatibility between
CC-BY-NC-SA and CC-BY-SA.