cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Most important feature: GPL-compatibility

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Ben Finney <bignose+hates-spam AT benfinney.id.au>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Most important feature: GPL-compatibility
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 21:52:02 +1100

Arne Babenhauserheide <arne_bab AT web.de> writes:

> Am Donnerstag, 19. Januar 2012, 10:31:36 schrieb Ben Finney:
> > > If someone wants their art to be made part of a software program,
> > > and that program is gnu-gpl, then the art should be gnu gpl too.
> >
> > To the extent that we're talking about works covered by copyright,
> > and not physical objects, I agree.
>
> So you think that none of the existing cc by-sa works should be used
> in GPL- Programs and no art which gets created for games should be
> licensed under cc by-sa?

You've already stipulated an art work whose copyright holder *wants* the
work to be part of a GPL-licensed program. In that case, yes, the
intention of the copyright holder of the art work is best met by
licensing that art work under the GPL.

Maybe that copyright holder also wants to license the work under CC
BY-SA as well as GPL; that's fine. Multiple licenses can be granted by
the same copyright holder in the same work to the same recipient.

You seem to have something different in mind in this more recent message
though. What is it?

--
\ “If we have to give up either religion or education, we should |
`\ give up education.” —William Jennings Bryan, 1923-01 |