cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] 'Attribution' condition human-readable summary misleading

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: jonathon <jonathon.blake AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] 'Attribution' condition human-readable summary misleading
  • Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 19:18:29 +0100

Gregory wrote:

> I would have a very difficult time arguing with a straight face that
> the 'code', so often completely unread, was a greater part of the
> understanding than the 'human readable' text for the majority of
> cases.

If somebody violated the CC License of anything I produced, I'd be in
the court room arguing on the basis of the Legal Code. Any usage that
somebody claimed was legit under the Human Readable Code, would be
covered by showing where, and how the legal code differs from the
Human Readable Code, and that the Human Readable Code is not part of
the license.

I've only recently started putting a pointer to my understanding of
the Legal Code, on the copyright page of my material. I also
(recently started to) include an explicit statement that the Human
Readable Code is not part of the license, and whatever it says is
irrelevant to the license.

xan

jonathon