cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] 'Attribution' condition human-readable summary misleading

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Brianna Laugher" <brianna.laugher AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] 'Attribution' condition human-readable summary misleading
  • Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 00:10:09 +1000

On 09/08/07, Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org> wrote:
> 1) Could the deed language be more accurate?
>
> The attribution description used to say "You must give the original
> author credit." Early this year it was changed to "You must attribute
> the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor."
>
> The licensor can specify a name, title, and URL, though perhaps "manner"
> could be misleading.
>
> Please (Brianna or anyone) suggest language which is both more accurate
> and "human readable".

s/in the manner/using the wording.

> But even if the license allows for a licensor to specify attribution and
> notice that cripple the ability to make useful derivatives, surely
> Wikipedia can just reject those contributions? I seem to recall a
> policy requiring that watermarks may be removed... hmm, maybe only
> strongly encouraging the removal of watermarks --
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Template:Watermark

Well. I didn't think of this approach. Perhaps it is just the same as
we only allow people to use the GFDL with 'no invariant sections'.

But I think saying that it is ok for users to do this subverts the
intentions of making a work free for all uses including commercial and
derivative works. Users will definitely exploit this to discourage
both of those things. Whether it's on Wikimedia Commons or not doesn't
really matter -- IMO they shouldn't be able to do it anywhere.

cheers,
Brianna

http://modernthings.org/