cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] 'Attribution' condition human-readable summary misleading

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: jonathon <jonathon.blake AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] 'Attribution' condition human-readable summary misleading
  • Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 19:06:08 +0100

Brianna wrote:

> I'm aware it 'doesn't count' legally, but it 'counts' for users who
> are trying to be part of the free culture movement, and I'm sure CC
> would rather be up-front with them about what they are doing rather
> than give them nasty surprises later.

Anybody who relies on the "Human Readable Code" is going to be in for
some extremely nasty surprised. It doesn't matter what their medium
is.

Even if you go through the Legal Code, if you don't have a lawyer
translating it for you, you will be in for a couple of surprises.

BTW, for photography, the CC license doesn't even begin to cover the
requirements for usage as "libre".

xan

jonathon