cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Unbundling the GPL

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Unbundling the GPL
  • Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2007 15:07:28 -0400 (EDT)

> Greg London schrieb:
>> You may also want to mention that licenses
>> like the GPL also protect the work from
>> Software Patents, which isn't in CC-SA.
>
> This applies only to GPL, and there only GPL3,

Say what?

GPL, rev 2 (written in 1991) says in its preamble:

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.txt

+Finally, any free program is threatened constantly
+by software patents. We wish to avoid the danger
+that redistributors of a free program will
+individually obtain patent licenses, in effect
+making the program proprietary. To prevent this,
+we have made it clear that any patent must be
+licensed for everyone's free use or
+not licensed at all.

I did a quick grep of the word "patent" in
rev 3.0 of CC-SA and couldn't find any mention
of the word.

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/legalcode