cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Unbundling the GPL

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Javier Candeira <javier AT candeira.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Unbundling the GPL
  • Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2007 20:20:21 +0200

Joachim Durchholz wrote:
> Greg London schrieb:
>> You may also want to mention that licenses like the GPL also protect the
>> work from Software Patents, which isn't in CC-SA.
>
> This applies only to GPL, and there only GPL3, and there's no definitive
> wording for GPL3 yet.

Erm, I misread earlier, but I still support wording related to software
patents for the CC FAQ.

GPL v2 does protect the work from software patents. It doesn't have a
retaliation clause as broad as in the GPL v3 draft, but it does grant a
license on patents for the covered code, which CC licenses do not.