cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Unbundling the GPL

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Björn Terelius" <bjorn.terelius AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Unbundling the GPL
  • Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2007 23:05:28 +0200

I would like a couple of small changes to the first paragraph, so that it reads:

-----
Creative Commons licenses are not intended to apply to software. Instead,
we strongly encourage you to consider using one of the very good software
licenses available from the Free Software Foundation or listed at the Open
Source Initiative if you are licensing software or software documentation.
Unlike our licenses -- which do not make mention of source or object code
-- these existing licenses were designed specifically for use with software.
-----

I do not think that this changes the content of the paragraph, but it does
make the paragraph about 30% shorter. Since the entire FAQ entry will be
expanded quite a bit, it might be good to keep the introduction as short as
possible.

The part concerning CC-ND/NC should perhaps be changed to something like
-----
For binary-only distribution of non-free, closed-source software
("freeware" or freely redistributable "proprietary software"), the "No
Derivatives" (ND) or "Non-Commercial" (NC) license variants may be usable.
-----

Shareware is typically software that may be used for a limited time and I don't
think that CC-ND are suitable for this. ND still gives away the right to use
the product for an unlimited amount of time, doesn't it?
For the same reason, I only believe that ND can be applied to proprietary software
if it can be redistributed without limitations.

Best regards
-Bjorn