cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Unbundling the GPL

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Björn Terelius" <bjorn.terelius AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Unbundling the GPL
  • Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 09:07:47 +0200

On 4/26/07, drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com> wrote:
On Wednesday 25 April 2007 07:14 pm, Björn Terelius wrote:
> Some people say that Free Software is better than freeware "because it is
> Free". This however does not explain WHY it is better, since Free does not
> necessarily mean good. Whether Free is good depend entirely on what you
> think of the definition of Free.

Well, here is one reason. It can be legally fixed if you find a problem that
you are of a mind to fix. Does that do it for you? Were you not aware of that
benefit?

Of course I am aware of that and many other benefits,
but they are all dependent on the definition of "Free".
My point is that we should not attach any emotions to
"Free", by association with the ordinary word free.
The statement "because its Free" only explains why
a particular piece of Free Software is good, once you've
decided for yourself that Free Software in general is good.

Anyway, I did not start the discussion on the word "Free",
and I would be grateful if we could drop it.

> > They are seriously not the same. If I am imprisoned wrongly, I may have
> > the
> > right to do something while lacking the freedom to do it.
>
> Good point, but can you put your finger on the difference?

Is that a serious question? If so, care to word it another way?

Yes, it is a serious question. In what way are freedom and rights different?

> > For the record, do you contend that there is no  moral/ethical difference
> > re
> > software and art when it comes to licenses etc. such as we are
> > discussing?
>
> Exactly, I dont think there is (or rather should be) any moral/ethical
> difference between licensing software and art.

Have you bothered to read RMS's point on the matter? Do you think that the
moral/ethical situation/standard re software needs to be lowered? Or do you
think the moral/ethical situation/standard re art needs to be raised?

 No, do you have a link?

I think first of all that the moral/ethical ideal should be the same.
In my opinion, I think ND and NC are morally/ethically ok for
both software and art.

-Bjorn