cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Unbundling the GPL

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Unbundling the GPL
  • Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 09:23:56 -0400

On Tuesday 24 April 2007 08:41 am, Joachim Durchholz wrote:
> drew Roberts schrieb:
> > I think that's his point. Get them to agree on one and then ask CC to
> > bless it.
> >
> > When people who like Free Software see the GPL, BSD, MIT, etc, they see
> > the one they like as good for their use and use it. Why haven't the
> > non-Free freeware guys managed to come up with on in all these years?
>
> The same question could have been posted in the years before the CC
> initiative started. There's always a date when things get started; if
> the answer to the question "why wasn't this done before" were really
> relevant, nothing would ever be done.

It is true that things need to start somewhere.

> Though, in this particular case, I do have at least a partial answer:
> because those companies that have a legal department good enough to set
> up such a license, they will invariably come up with one that's too
> restrictive for general usage. Corporate lawyers are, after all, charged
> with upholding the company's goals, not with public interest.

So, there is no community? No common interest? All these little guys can't
pool a bit of money and get a license craftet that meets their needs? In all
these years? I personally ran up on freeware and shareware before I
encountered the concept of Free Software. Is there no motivation to find a
common license? No perceived benefit?

> >> Hence the incompatibility
> >> exists. Adding a standardized license would make the freeware more
> >> useful, and could possibly persuade the developers to release it as a
> >> free project later.
> >
> > So, what more do you need than ND gives you?
>
> The problem is that CC doesn't seem to have checked their standard
> licenses for appropriateness for software.

I didn't ask that. Have you read ND? As a layman, if you are one, what more
do
you need than ND gives you? Or do you really think you need NC-ND?

> Regards,
> Jo

(da idea man)