cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Unbundling the GPL

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Unbundling the GPL
  • Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 07:56:36 -0400

On Tuesday 24 April 2007 03:53 am, Björn Terelius wrote:

> As for the usefulness of an ND license for software, consider a FPS-game
> like counter-strike or whatever. If the source was distributed publicly
> it would be easy to modify the client to cheat. Anybody with any
> programming experience could create a client that automatically aim for
> the head or something. On the other hand is is extremely difficult to do
> this without source if it means reverse engineering the project.

Well, it may not be the exact situation you propose, but we may have decent
experimental results soon:

http://secondlife.com/developers/opensource/licenses

> Here's another point. Everybody who has ever used a free, open source
> program, please raise your hands. (Everybody raises their hands) Ok now
> everybody who has ever modified an open source program, raise your
> hands. (Very few does) The point is that in reality, very few people use
> the rights of modification and commercial distribution.

You left out an important question and drew too strong a conclusion.

Everyone who has ever used more than one distribution or everyone who has
ever
used any distribution other than Yggdrasil raise your hand. (A whole bunch of
hands go up.) You make use of the right of commercial distribution when you
choose to get your wares from a different party that better suits your needs,
not just when you distribute commercially yourself. It gets you out of vendor
lock in.

> I did not quite understand your response to the fact that freeware
> exists. There are many good freeware projects and they don't use any
> standardized license, because there is none.

I think that's his point. Get them to agree on one and then ask CC to bless
it.

When people who like Free Software see the GPL, BSD, MIT, etc, they see the
one they like as good for their use and use it. Why haven't the non-Free
freeware guys managed to come up with on in all these years?

> Hence the incompatibility
> exists. Adding a standardized license would make the freeware more
> useful, and could possibly persuade the developers to release it as a
> free project later.

So, what more do you need than ND gives you?