cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] One use of nc and nd: ad-hoc harmonisation of fair use

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: rob AT robmyers.org
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] One use of nc and nd: ad-hoc harmonisation of fair use
  • Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 12:51:58 +0100

Quoting Javier Candeira <javier AT candeira.com>:

Rob Myers wrote:
It shouldn't. ND should be abolished and replaced with a Fair Use guarantee.

The more restrictive by-nc-nd licenses, in their many international forms,
have the effect of "harmonising" a wider form of "fair use" or "fair
dealing" across all jurisdictions that have their own Creative Commons licenses.

Yes that's a fair comment. I live in a "Fair Dealing" jurisdiction and I know of at least one publication here that uses NC to ensure that its readers can make greater use of the work than they would be able to otherwise.

My apologies to NC-ND. ;-)

- Rob.