cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Is "podsafe" music affected by CRB rulings

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Lucas Gonze" <lucas.gonze AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Is "podsafe" music affected by CRB rulings
  • Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2007 14:42:11 -0700

On 4/6/07, Eric Garner <ejgarner AT yahoo.com> wrote:
Jammin' Jenny is not a lawyer so she
doesn't understand the wide-ranging implications of
using the NC license. When she clicks that radio
button she's probably thinking, "Hell no, I don't want
some dude making money by selling MY music!" What she
doesn't realize, though, is that she's effectively
making her music off-limits to the honest webcaster
who can help her music get heard, too.

But that's a communication problem, not a license problem. The thing
to do is help Jenny learn how to use free licenses.

Programmers go through this learning process too. When to use a
BSD, GPL, or LGPL license?

Requiring learning is OK. People can do this.

That's especially true with the NC licenses, which a whole generation
of creators are exploring by doing the wrong thing. Let them go
wrong. They will discover that NC work disappears into a dead zone,
while SA becomes part of a thriving ecosystem, and the next time
around they will know.

The best thing we can do to help Jamming Jenny is not pander to her
misunderstanding.