cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Is "podsafe" music affected by CRB rulings

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Kevin Phillips (home)" <tacet AT qmpublishing.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Is "podsafe" music affected by CRB rulings
  • Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2007 01:29:54 +0100

> As I understand it, webcasts with no money streams are
> free to play NC licensed music without paying because,
> well, there's no money streams. As soon as you put up
> a banner ad or any other means of making an income,
> then SE could get involved if you're using NC music,
> just as with standard-copyrighted music. You can get
> around paying SE in this situation by setting up
> direct licenses with any musicians who do use NC,
> though this could be a great big pain for you.

Yes, sorry.....see I need that clever license chooser thingy we invented
earlier ;)

Sheesh, (pass the dunce hat would ya Jenny?) and the number of times I HAVE
read "if Your public digital performance is primarily intended for or
directed toward commercial advantage or private monetary compensation."
....it would be a "no" so my private stream is in the clear, with only the
streaming bills to pay. AND this is probably how/why ccMixter doesn't need
to fuss over (p) fees because there's no ads or revenue streams....at least
not obvious ones.

Kev