cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Is "podsafe" music affected by CRB rulings

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Eric Garner <ejgarner AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Is "podsafe" music affected by CRB rulings
  • Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2007 06:22:22 -0700 (PDT)

> Maybe I am missing something here, but it seems that
> musicians want a
> licence that allows their product to be streamed,
> but not synchronized
> unless a royalty payment is received.

My point exactly. As just such a musician, I'm finding
that it's an all-or-nothing approach. You either use
NC or you don't. There's no way to differentiate
between a synchronized re-use in a commercial (NOT
okay), streaming from a website with a banner ad
(Okay), or inclusion on a DJ mix CD some some kid is
selling to his buddy for three bucks (Who cares).

> If that is the case, then writing a brand new
> licence just for audio
> is called for.

Given CC's hesitance toward cluttering the landscape
with too many licenses, perhaps a reworking of the
existing NC license would do the trick. Kevin proposed
a checkbox specifying permission for small-scale
pod/webcasters for instance. Something like this would
be a huge step closer toward CC's vision of an
alternative body of work made *automatically* more
accessible for re-use IMO. This is especially poignant
today in light of the CRB rulings, and I also see it
as an opportunity for CC to nudge that much more into
the mainstream.

Eric