cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Is "podsafe" music affected by CRB rulings

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: James Grimmelmann <james AT grimmelmann.net>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Is "podsafe" music affected by CRB rulings
  • Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2007 10:13:33 -0400

Eric Garner wrote:
> Given CC's hesitance toward cluttering the landscape
> with too many licenses, perhaps a reworking of the
> existing NC license would do the trick. Kevin proposed
> a checkbox specifying permission for small-scale
> pod/webcasters for instance. Something like this would
> be a huge step closer toward CC's vision of an
> alternative body of work made *automatically* more
> accessible for re-use IMO. This is especially poignant
> today in light of the CRB rulings, and I also see it
> as an opportunity for CC to nudge that much more into
> the mainstream.

Question: is this kind of decision something that musicians would care
about propagating through into derivative works? As long as the license
proliferation can be kept clear of creating new SA hybrids, the
consequences of multiplying the licenses are less severe.

I'm still generally skeptical of new license proposals, but this does
seem to be an area where license behavior diverges strongly from author
expectations, and there's also a good case against simply modifying the
license that isn't working for them.

James