cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Regarding SA and "strong copyleft" question

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Antoine" <antoine AT pitrou.net>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Regarding SA and "strong copyleft" question
  • Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2007 14:50:18 +0100 (CET)

> Well, can a collective work get a copyright on the collective work? Can a
> collection of works get a copyright that covers the collection?

As a sidenote it's a bit annoying to see people ponder "copyright law"
when it's obvious that free licenses should apply in most countries and
not only in the US. Reflecting on details of a particular legal regime
will not give any meaninful insight.

Anyway, over here a collection would be subject to author rights (our
rough equivalent of copyright) as soon as the collection can be considered
a creative work. That is, in most cases. And I'm not a lawyer.

Regards

Antoine.