cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Regarding SA and "strong copyleft" question

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Rob Myers <rob AT robmyers.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Regarding SA and "strong copyleft" question
  • Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2007 08:17:34 +0000

drew Roberts wrote:

So, the BY-SA decided not to apply to collective works but the GPL decided to apply to collective works. ??? Is that right?

I don't think so. I think the GPL's "mere aggregation" is equivalent to BY-SA's "collective work".

One thing I'm curious about is whether including (e.g.) a short poem makes an essay a derivative of it, or whether that kind of quotation has the same aggregate/collective status as a photographic "quotation".

- Rob.