cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Regarding SA and "strong copyleft" question

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Peter Brink <peter.brink AT brinkdata.se>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Regarding SA and "strong copyleft" question
  • Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2007 12:29:35 +0100

wolfgang wander skrev:

Furthermore it strikes me as odd that the time syncing of movies and
sound invokes the derivative clause while the semantic syncing
of photographs with text (in heavily modified: resized, recropped,
desaturated) form does not.

That the syncing of movies and sound kicks of the copyleft part of the license has always seemed odd to me. There is no reason that is should. That one work is inspired by another does not make it a derivative work. I guess it has to do with a provision in the U.S. copyright act, there is certainly no such rule in the Swedish copyright act (or in any of the other Scandinavian countries either AFAIK).

Also there is, in my mind, no "semantic syncing" between text and pictures. In general one can remove either and the remaining part is unchanged, i.e. the two are really independent of each other.

Dependency is really only the case with adaptations and that is why the law treats adaptations as it does. To extend copyleft beyond adaptations would, IMHO, be a tragic mistake on the part of CC. Such a change would _decrease_ the users freedom to re-use. It would, for example, become impossible to use works with different licenses on the same webbpage or in the same publication.

/Peter Brink