cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Parallel Distribution Statement

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Parallel Distribution Statement
  • Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 17:12:26 -0500

On Monday 27 November 2006 09:28 am, Benj. Mako Hill wrote:
> <quote who="Greg London" date="Sat, Nov 25, 2006 at 10:42:43AM -0500">
>
> > You haven't been involved in the discussion on this list so far,
> > and your first message is to let us know that you've posted a
> > piece encouraging people to come to this list advocating for
> > parallel distribution?
>
> I have read every message on this topic, on this list, including the
> ones you cite. We linked to Terry's article quoting your text. We
> mentioned that it was the strongest argument in favor of parallel
> distribution.
>
> I'm sorry that you found the language in our summary of your position
> weaker than your own. We understand but don't agree with your position
> so it seems unlikely that you'd agree with any treatment we'd give it.

Benjamin, I don't think that's fair. if you give other's points in the
strongest light you can or in their own words and still say you disagree,
that is one thing. When a person with a different view, reads your paper and
doesn't think his position is addressed, that is another.

I think your paper fell short in this way.

> James and I have both operated in good faith and I apologize if you feel
> that you've been misrepresented. We provided places to place comments on
> every place we posted the article. You have cut and pasted your message
> DRM Dave message to to each of them and reposted it verbatim to this
> list.
>
> There are half a dozen people who together have sent almost every mesage
> on this subject to this list over the last couple months. So far, we
> have elicted responses and discussion from those half-dozen people and
> from nobody else.

First, we would need to be clear that from Debian's point of view, you are
really only interested in BY and BY-SA creators in the first place.

I can tell you one thing. As for BY-SA creators, I don't know how many of us
there are. It certainly feels lonely around here. Most seem to love NC and ND
in their licenses.

> Regards,
> Mako

(da idea man)