cc-licenses - [cc-licenses] Parallel Distribution Statement

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Benj. Mako Hill" <mako AT atdot.cc>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: James Grimmelmann <james AT grimmelmann.net>
  • Subject: [cc-licenses] Parallel Distribution Statement
  • Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 16:51:41 -0500

James Grimmelmann and I have written and begun distributing a position
statement in favor of parallel distribution in the CC licenses. Neither
of us has been involved in the debate on this list so far but we were
both concerned by the fact that, while this issue has seen hundreds of
messages on this list, only a tiny number of affected people have spoken
up on either side of the issue.

In our statement, we end by encouraging affected users of CC licenses to
write to this list. This message can act as a heads up. Our goal is not
to start up the same circular discussion among people who have agreed to
disagree or to prolong the discussion period. We really want to hear
from users.

http://wiki.mako.cc/ParallelDistribution
http://mako.cc/copyrighteous/ip/20061124-00 (my blog)

The statement should also poke up in a series of other places in the
next few days.

Thanks to everyone who has weighed in on the issue so far, on both
sides, and to Mia who been very helpful and patient throughout this
process.

Later,
Mako

--
Benjamin Mako Hill
mako AT atdot.cc

Creativity can be a social contribution, but only in so
far as society is free to use the results. --RMS