cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Parallel Distribution Statement

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: rob AT robmyers.org
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>, Greg London <email AT greglondon.com>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Parallel Distribution Statement
  • Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 12:04:56 +0000

Quoting Greg London <email AT greglondon.com>:

James Grimmelmann and I have written and begun distributing a position
statement in favor of parallel distribution in the CC licenses.

Neither of us has been involved in the debate on this list so far
In our statement, we end by encouraging affected users of CC
licenses to write to this list. This message can act as a heads up.

You haven't been involved in the discussion on this list so far,
and your first message is to let us know that you've posted a
piece encouraging people to come to this list advocating for
parallel distribution?

Terry provided a very good overview of the prior arguments against DRM,
including Greg's "DRM Dave" scenario, here:

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/blogs/debian_and_the_creative_commons

I would add that, as someone who has installed GNU/Linux on my iPod, who has
recently read the Yellow Dog Linux announcement for the PS3, who uses their PS2
as a CD and DVD player, and whose son seems to get MP3s, images and movies onto
his PSP OK, I do not understand the argument that the best way of "helping"
users is to assist third parties in trapping them under DRM regimes rather than
assisting users in installing and using free software.

- Rob.