cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Subject: Re: Version 3.0 - List Discussion Responses

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Subject: Re: Version 3.0 - List Discussion Responses
  • Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2006 08:54:39 -0400

On Sunday 01 October 2006 12:57 am, Evan Prodromou wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-30-09 at 23:58 -0400, Greg London wrote:
> > If Dave can have a monopoly on his platform,
> > if Dave is the only person who can apply DRM
> > to content for his platform, and if he is
> > willing to take advantage fo that monopoly
> > OF PLATFORM, do you support anti-TPM to prevent
> > the monopoly?
>
> No. I think that someone having a monopoly on a single platform is not
> such a big deal. We still, today, have unencumbered players for all
> forms of data, and in a parallel distribution situation Alice and Bob
> can exercise some choice. I think that DRM Dave would be in the really
> bad situation of distributing works for free (the unencumbered versions)
> that can only be played on his competitors' players.
>
> DRM Dave has a monopoly on his platform as an axiom of your scenario.
> You haven't really said how an anti-DRM provision would change that.
>
> > It allows access to the work in a different platform,
> > but you said you're against anti-TPM because it
> > doesn't allow Alice and Bob to put content under
> > DRM so they can play it on a different platform.
>
> Right. I'm mainly concerned about situations that people actually
> confront in the real world today, where third parties can put their
> works on the platform. Like the PSP, the PS/2, various eBook readers. In
> those cases, it's not DRM Dave keeping Alice and Bob from sharing with
> their neighbours, but our Creative Commons license stipulations.

Hence my earlier question about an anti-TPM clause with an exception for
platforms where Alice and Bob can put on their own DRM but no exception for
Dave's "Dave only" platform.

So, what is the problem with that again?

> Surely, if you think it's wrong not to let Alice and Bob share on DRM
> Dave's platforms, you'd agree that it's wrong to keep them out of these
> other platforms, too? If not, it's our own license requirements that are
> making those platforms a proprietary monopoly, not the policies of the
> platform owners.
>
> ~Evan

(da idea man)
http://www.ourmedia.org/node/145261
Record a song and you might win $1,000.00
http://www.ourmedia.org/user/17145