cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Subject: Re: Version 3.0 - List Discussion Responses

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Subject: Re: Version 3.0 - List Discussion Responses
  • Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2006 19:21:54 -0400

Check down at the bottom.

On Sunday 01 October 2006 10:38 am, Greg London wrote:
> > On Sat, 2006-30-09 at 23:58 -0400, Greg London wrote:
> >> If Dave can have a monopoly on his platform,
> >> if Dave is the only person who can apply DRM
> >> to content for his platform, and if he is
> >> willing to take advantage fo that monopoly
> >> OF PLATFORM, do you support anti-TPM to prevent
> >> the monopoly?
> >
> > No. I think that someone having a monopoly on a single
> > platform is not such a big deal. We still, today, have
> > unencumbered players for all forms of data, and in a
> > parallel distribution situation Alice and Bob can
> > exercise some choice.
>
> So, should we allow Microsoft to pull in some GPL'ed
> linux code into its OS or applications and let
> Microsoft parallel distribute the source code
> of the linux software but not their own code?
> That way, Alice and Bob can still exercise some choice,
> can still use Linux code on their Microsoft system,
> and Microsoft can maintain it's monopoly.
>
> > I think that DRM Dave would be in the really
> > bad situation of distributing works for free
> > (the unencumbered versions) that can only be
> > played on his competitors' players.
>
> How much does bandwidth cost where you live?
> Over here, it's pretty cheap. Dirt cheap.
> Compared to the cost that Alice and Bob will
> have to pay Dave to play the content on Dave's
> DRM-only platform, a parallel copy is nothing.
>
> "Poor Dave, his DRM-Only players have a 60% market
> share, but we'll show him, we'll force him to distribute
> copies of all those works that will play on the
> Penguin Player, an open format hardware platform,
> that has a 5% market share. Then we'll watch Dave
> shiver in his boots. Take that, Dave!"
>
> And if you argue that Dave will never get that
> large a majority, that there will always be other
> platforms that play open formats, that will be
> significant competition against Dave, then...
> WHY GIVE DAVE RIGHTS TO THE WORKS IF ALICE AND BOB
> CAN LISTEN TO THE WORK ON SOME OTHER COMMON PLAYER
> THAT PLAYS OPEN FORMATS?
>
> This is where you play the double-standard game.
>
> Parallel distribution only empowers Alice and Bob
> as long as there are open players that have
> considerable market share. And if there are open
> players that have considerable market share,
> then why not have Alice and Bob play on those
> open players and keep Dave from exercising a
> platform monopoly?
>
> You want the free content on a proprietary system.
> You want Linux code in your Microsoft Desktop,
> but you fail to acknowledge the platform monopoly
> you end up granting Microsoft.
>
> Parallel distribution does not mean Alice and Bob
> can EVER put content on Dave's platform. Which
> means that parallel distribution in the Microsoft
> metaphor means that Alice and Bob might get copies
> of the source code, but Microsoft will use a build
> script that customers use to link code, which won't
> have source code, and Microsoft will use DRM to
> prevent Alice and Bob from EVER running that parallel
> source code on their hardware platform.

> [...]

Between the two choices you give, I think I go along with you unless someone
can convince me otherwise. Now, we could of course allow the application of
DRM so long as anyone can apply it. The it is up to Dave to show his true
colours.

(da idea man)
http://www.ourmedia.org/node/145261
Record a song and you might win $1,000.00
http://www.ourmedia.org/user/17145