cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Case study: Magnatune

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Case study: Magnatune
  • Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 06:45:00 -0500

On Wednesday 23 November 2005 05:55 am, Daniel Carrera wrote:
> drew Roberts wrote:
> >>I have no idea what you mean by (C) and (P), so your argument is obscure
> >>to me.
> >
> > Some links:
> >
> > http://www.bigbaer.com/reference/glossary_music_industry.htm
> > http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ56.html
>
> The first link was unclear. The second link was huge and inpenetrable.
> Couldn't you just give me a quick explanation?

From the heading I said to look for in the first link:

"Sound Recording Copyright Symbol ℗
The sound recording copyright symbol is represented by the letter "P"
enclosed in a circle."

Now, the regular copyright symbol is a C enclosed in a circle. The sound
recording copyright symbol is a P enclosed in a circle.

Check some of your CDs or LPs for example of them being used.

Basically, the (C) will be a copyright on the words and music while the (P)
will be a copyright on the particular sound recording. (As I understand
things.)

So, let's say two friends of mine write a song. One writes the words and one
writes the tune. They release this (C) CC BY-SA. But, they give me a seperate
license and I make a recording of their song and release it (P) with a
standard copyright license. BTW, as I understand the (P) copyright would be
mine if the agreement I had with them called for it.

So, you may get your hands on the song in, say, sheet music form under the
BY-SA license, but you would have no rights to my (P) recording.

Surely I cannot be the only one on this list aware of (P) and its
implications.

http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=creator%3A%22drew%20Roberts%22