cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Case study: Magnatune

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Evan Prodromou <evan AT bad.dynu.ca>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Case study: Magnatune
  • Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 17:18:43 -0500

On Tue, 2005-22-11 at 16:20 -0500, drew Roberts wrote:
This would be nice if really so, (and I am not saying it is not so) but then I
am confused as to how, say someone who publishes a fake book containing
public domain songs can claim much of a copyright in anything.
Collection copyright (choosing the data) and transformation (casting into sheet-music format). That person could successfully challenge someone copying the book, but would have a harder time challenging a 4th-grade class singing "You are my Sunshine."

~Evan