cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Case study: Magnatune

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Peter Brink <peter.brink AT brinkdata.se>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Case study: Magnatune
  • Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 22:30:26 +0100

drew Roberts skrev:

A book, a pdf-file, a text-file or an openoffice-file containing the
same expression are all _copies_ of the same work.

This would be nice if really so, (and I am not saying it is not so) but then I am confused as to how, say someone who publishes a fake book containing public domain songs can claim much of a copyright in anything. Especially sine they imply that the whole shebang is copyrighted. Can someone who knows comment on this?

If I create a collection of public domain texts, I could claim a copyright on my _selection_ of texts. The selection would be copyright protected, provided of course that the selection in itself is a result of a creative act. The copyright status of the _individual_ texts would not be altered.

/Peter Brink