cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Case study: Magnatune

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Sincaglia, Nicolas" <nsincaglia AT musicnow.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Case study: Magnatune
  • Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 07:34:38 -0600

>1. Different resolution/ sound quality means different work?
No. This is not correct. Copyright law does not make any mention of file
formats or resolution. Neither does the CC licenses.

"Under the 1976 Copyright Act an author is protected as soon as the work is
recorded in some concrete way, since the Act protects all expressions upon
fixation in a tangible medium."

So what is protected by copyright law and licensed under CC is not the
tangible medium but the expression. The expression is the work. The only role
the tangible medium plays in copyright law is it's existance marks the
beginning of ones legal protection for the creative expression.

(e.g. If you write a new song and sing it live without ever having recorded
it in any tangible form, you don't have legal protection for that song. If
you record it at the live performance or write down the chords and lyrics at
home on a piece of paper prior to the show, you will have legal protection
for that song)