cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] (c) 2005 All of humanity

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Daniel Carrera <daniel.carrera AT zmsl.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] (c) 2005 All of humanity
  • Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 09:40:15 +0100

Greg London wrote:
If Alice and Bob both hold copyright on some work
(the wrote a novel together, for example),
then any derivative of that novel must get
Alice and Bob's permission. Both.

No. Alice can modify the book without Bob's permission. Bob can modify the book without Alice's permission.

I see this happen every day at OpenOffice.org. Non-Sun contributors agree to a "Joint Copyright" with Sun, which means that they both have copyright ownership over this person's contribution. Sun then proceeds to re-license it under whatever propietary license they like and put it in StarOffice.

I could be mistaken, though.
I am not a lawyer.
This is not legal advice.

I'm not a lawyer either, but I've seen from personal experience that your premise is incorrect.

Cheers,
Daniel.
--
/\/`) http://oooauthors.org