cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] (c) 2005 All of humanity

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Alexander Genaud <alexgenaud AT gmail.com>
  • To: Daniel Carrera <daniel.carrera AT zmsl.com>
  • Cc: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] (c) 2005 All of humanity
  • Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 11:36:26 +0200

Hej Daniel,

Thanks for your response. I do not believe public domain and a
copyright to everyone are quite the same thing.

> The only disadvantage of "public domain" is that someone can extend it
> and make a non-open derivative. In other words, I can grab your work,
> make changes to it, and give it to people but under closed terms.

Agreed. However, while I can redistribute a public domain work under
my own copyright, I must retain the copyright of a work owned by
everyone. In other words, I believe, no one individual can release
changes under closed terms if the recipient is also a copyright
holder.

The only disadvantage (to the open source/copyleft world) that I see
is that only the final product of a derivative must be released. There
is no requirement to release the original or source. Rather than a
problem, this might be considered a simple convenience.

Cheers,
Alex

--
http://cph.blogsome.com