cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] (c) 2005 All of humanity

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Alexander Genaud <alexgenaud AT gmail.com>
  • To: Daniel Carrera <daniel.carrera AT zmsl.com>
  • Cc: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] (c) 2005 All of humanity
  • Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 13:30:54 +0200

Thank you Daniel,

You have cleared a few things up for me. I was unaware that each
copyright holder has exclusive rights to an entire work (derivative).

> If you and I are both copyright holders
> over a work, and I make changes,
> I have the sole copyright over my
> changes. Period. I can give you
> [examples] where this happens today
> (e.g. Sun's StarOffice, Codeweavers'
> CrossOverOffice, etc.)

Are you referring to (for instance) OpenOffice forking from
StarOffice? As far as I understand, Sun retains the copyright even of
OpenOffice, and it was the GPL, not the copyright per se, that allowed
the fork.

"""Copyright 2002,2005 Sun Microsystems, Inc."""

If what you say is true (and I have no reason to think otherwise), I
may consider a simplified compromise between MIT/zlib/BSD-style. Am I
correct to assume, that the spirit of the letter matters, and that the
verbosity of many licenses is unnecessary.

Alex

Copyright (c) <year> <copyright holders>

This work is provided 'as-is', without any express or implied
warranty. In no event will the authors be held liable for any damages
arising from the use of this work. Permission is hereby granted, free
of charge, to any being, to deal in the work without restriction,
including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge,
publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the work,
provided this notice is included in all copies or substantial portions
of the work.

--
http://cph.blogsome.com