cc-licenses - Re: designer patterns using CC

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: nina <nina AT aktivix.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: designer patterns using CC
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2005 00:18:22 +0100

Which means that while electronic works are naturally
democratic (software/text/music for the people),
physical works are naturally commercial
(designs to be mass produced by companies).

*naturally* commercial!?!

This completely distorts the very violent and artificial nature of capitalist (mass) production!

The fact that mass production is possible at all is based on an incredible amount of brutality and threat of more, it is based on the expropriation of very many people and (artificial) perpetuation of poverty. It is dependent on an unbelievable amount of resource extraction and creates a heartbreaking amount of waste.

The fact that many of us (on this mailing list) enjoy the fruits of this struggle rather than bear its wounds does not make these kinds of products, and this form of production any more *natural*.

Sorry I'm barging in like this, but I really believe this is such an important discussion to be had!! To my mind, the most important questions FLOSS raises are questions that address the potential for new forms of production and distribution not only in cyberspace, but in hard space - what can we learn from the FLOSS/GPL/CC experience in terms of the other, the *physical* property relations we are entangled in, we are legislating, we are maybe struggling against?

How can we engage in collective production of *hard* stuff BEYOND the commodity paradigm? How can we produce in a way that uncovers the fact that our current practices of mass production are exactly NOT natural at all, that they are institutions embodying a lot of suffering, and that they can be and have to be changed?

Of course there are significant differences between soft and hardware that make these questions difficult, and by no means straightforward, but it is in their midst that the truly revolutionary potential of CC/etc lies.

cheers
nina
PS. I am a research student, based in North West England, and have been hanging out on this list silently for a little while. I am working on how intellectual property law affects and is used by indigenous peoples, and was hoping to start a discussion on some of these issues on this list at some point. Just so much real life stuff on at the moment.