cc-licenses - Re: designer patterns using CC

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Rob Myers <robmyers AT mac.com>
  • To: kebunhouse <kebunhouse AT gmail.com>, Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: designer patterns using CC
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 21:32:34 +0100
On 14 Jun 2005, at 21:01, kebunhouse wrote:

i basically want to have my patterns available for non-commercial
derivative work. i understand the way the license work now.

Cool. Yes, that would be Attribution-NonCommercial I think. The attribution would most likely be on the prints of the design, not on the finished pieces; I don't know how a pattern and a finished garment are related for the purposes of Intellectual Property law (I'm not a lawyer).

Bear in mind that noncommercial would only allow individuals to make clothes for themselves, they couldn't make them for other people and charge for that service.

Yes, savvyseams is similar to what I want to do. thanks! is there a
way to find a community of CC licensed clothing designers? I know most
of you out there may not be in the fashion/clothing industry but if
you have any leads let me know.

I don't know of any direct links. Possibly you could start something? :-)

You could email savvyseams and ask them, they may have made some contacts through their web presence.

There was a conference on open fashion culture:

And there's a weblog on 'pro-am' craft:

http://ullamaaria.typepad.com/hobbyprincess/

which might possibly be of interest.

I'm sure that someone asked about some kind of patterns on one of these lists before but I can't find the link right now. :-(

And a magazine did some CC knitting patterns:

http://www.boingboing.net/2004/10/24/knitting_patterns_un.html

In my opinion, the fashion industry is still slow to adopt new
technologies and ways to spread information. It is still very much, at
least on the manufacturing side, old world.

People have always "hacked" clothes but I think we're in a very conservative age for clothes at the moment. Even the Goths get their clothes from catalogues now. :-) A "fashion commons" would be great for both producers and consumers.

- Rob.