cc-licenses - Re: designer patterns using CC

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Rob Myers <robmyers AT mac.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: designer patterns using CC
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 21:51:44 +0100
On 14 Jun 2005, at 21:31, Greg London wrote:

A friend of mine has a fully programmable sewing machine.

My Ex wants one of those. :-)

You can download patterns into this thing, push a button,
and it can create some crazy stuff. Only thing is the
machine cost five grand.

The majority of the world's population has never made a phone call and Free Software comes from an era when you had to mortgage your house to buy a minicomputer. We're sat here discussing this on expensive PCs. There are some fairly deep philosophical issues around freedom and the ability to exercise it, but the freedom of artisans to share work is an important one even if the rest of us are unable or uninterested to. This follows on from the discussion of music formats.

Patterns don't take a programmable sewing machine. My mum used to buy physical prints of patterns, or get them with magazines. Cut it out, pin it to the fabric, cut it and sew it. People have done this stuff for decades. The physical prints are probably expensive to produce and less popular now. So electronic distribution of those patterns would be a boon.

physical stuff will be slower to adopt creative commons
licensing simply because it is more expensive to
convert electronic files to real-world applications.

Wellll. :-) Clothes patterns are a counter-example because it's cheaper to distribute a pattern electronically than to print it, ship it, and keep it on the shelf for ages.

I look forward to the O'Reilley "Clothes Hacking" book and "make clothes" magazine. :-)

Get a cheaper santa claus machine and you'll likely find
more people putting up santa claus files.

Sadly, Santa uses a proprietary format. The Easter Bunny uses XML, but the Hallowene Document shows that there may be a patent on that...

- Rob.