cc-licenses - Re: designer patterns using CC

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: kebunhouse <kebunhouse AT gmail.com>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: designer patterns using CC
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 15:00:16 -0700

> A friend of mine has a fully programmable sewing machine.
> You can download patterns into this thing, push a button,
> and it can create some crazy stuff. Only thing is the
> machine cost five grand.
>
> physical stuff will be slower to adopt creative commons
> licensing simply because it is more expensive to
> convert electronic files to real-world applications.

Do you know the name of your friends machine? Sounds interesting.
$5000 might be a decent investment if it does do some interesting
stuff.

You're right, real-world applications are harder to create commons
for, but I'm just not sure I understand the efforts to keep fashion
"secret". Top design houses are getting ripped off anyway. I keep
thinking that the commons license will allow me to enhance the
importance of my "originals". something i read about MP3s makes sense
to me. The more downloaded an artist was, the more CDs they sold. I'd
like to think this is a behavior that is shared across many fields.
Imagine if The Gap released patterns! That would make news!

I'm sure most the the folks on this list don't bother with fashion
trends and frankly neither do I much even though I'm in the industry.
At the moment, there seems to be a growing trend for craft and ethnic.
Not sure if it's a rejection of mass-produced culture or just an
extention of "reality" fads. But this folk aesthetic seems in line
with CC. Now, don't get me wrong, most fashionistas will not make
there own clothes but the trend for mixing something handmade with
manufactured is on point. And if a commons for fashion is to take
root, it will need a trend to latch onto.

my 2 cents.

thanks for the advice.