cc-licenses - Re: CC licenses and "moral rights"

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: CC licenses and "moral rights"
  • Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 19:50:10 -0500 (EST)

Mike Linksvayer said:
> Alex Schroeder wrote:
>> words such that it glorifies Hitler (and thus damages my reputation).
>
> said work, which would be prejudicial to his honor or reputation."

Words like "honor" and "reputation" by themselves make me think
of two "gentlemen" slapping each other with white gloves, saying
"you dishonor me sir!" and then they go to dueling pistols.

And those sorts of folks get dishonored by the craziest things.

As for "reputation", America has laws for libel/slander, but
one of the basic measures of what is or is not acceptable
is whether or not the statement is true. Truth can ruin
reputation, but the person who spoke it did not speak slander.